Skip to main content

My scrollbar is broken!

I am thankful for AJAX (Asynchronous JavaScript and XML) aka the technology behind web browsers' ability to load data dynamically without having to refresh. It has saved us from the thankless task of refreshing our browser endlessly to view any update. If it hadn't been for this technology, web applications would have permanently lagged behind native applications in terms of usability. And I will even go out on a limb and say that maybe even web 2.0 might not have been as robust had it not been for AJAX.

However the evolution of AJAX and its omnipresence in web 2.0 has had a few unintended consequences. One of them is the broken scroll bar.

To see what I mean, go to Facebook Newsfeed and reload the page. Now click on the scrollbar and start scrolling down, you would imagine that the scrollbar will stop scrolling as soon as it reaches the bottom of the window. But using the magic of AJAX, Facebook manages to add more content to the Newsfeed as we reach the end of the scroll. This results in an endless scrolling process.




























IMHO that the scroll bar has to go the way of the Dodo, as it can be extremely disorienting. A few browsers on touch devices are taking a scroll-less approach which has its share of problems as well. What are your thoughts?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I Hear Voices in my Head

I have been playing around with the iPad for a while now, so naturally I started thinking about what its shortcomings were. I realized that probably the weakest link in the iPad is the ability to type on it effectively (yes, I have the keyboard dock..it is just not enough). This in turn hampers your ability to key in search terms, URLs in Safari, mails, tweet, comments in Facebook and so on. Touch interface is great but typing in iPad is not fun.

I dream of Jetsons....

Over the last couple of days, we had around 10-12 inches of snow which I had to shovel. And our driveway is around 40 yards by 10 yards. I had to shovel almost 8 inches a week back. So obviously, I just have