Skip to main content

Year of the Tiger

It's been almost 18 months since my last post on the future of technology. Some of my predictions have gained momentum like location based services while some like robotics and 3D gaming are moving rather slowly.

Before I go back to the future let's do a quick recap of the past year. A few technology stories and trends that had everybody's attention..


  1. First and foremost the iPad.. was rumored, denied, then launched and went on to establish and corner a completely new market segment.
  2. Not Palm, not Microsoft..only Android phones showed up for the fight in the smartphone wars with Apple, RIM
  3. Apple launched the iPhone 4 OS to oohs and aahs, some of it justified while some were not.
  4. Turned out to be the year of the social networks.. with Facebook leading the pack, Twitter close behind and FourSquare a new kid on the block
  5. Year in which Zynga handily beat out Sony, Microsoft and Nintendo with its brand of social games like Farmville, Mafia Wars etc.
  6. And after a really long wait, internet might be finally coming to a TV near you or should I say TV is going to the internet..
  7. Social commerce is showing promise with Groupon and its clones catching on like wildfire
  8. Cloud Computing is mainstream with utility computing becoming a reality and quite affordable
  9. Print is dead... ebook readers, tablets and online content is essentially choking off the last few reasons why we should have print

Have I missed out something? Leave your comments below..

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I Hear Voices in my Head

I have been playing around with the iPad for a while now, so naturally I started thinking about what its shortcomings were. I realized that probably the weakest link in the iPad is the ability to type on it effectively (yes, I have the keyboard dock..it is just not enough). This in turn hampers your ability to key in search terms, URLs in Safari, mails, tweet, comments in Facebook and so on. Touch interface is great but typing in iPad is not fun.

I dream of Jetsons....

Over the last couple of days, we had around 10-12 inches of snow which I had to shovel. And our driveway is around 40 yards by 10 yards. I had to shovel almost 8 inches a week back. So obviously, I just have