Skip to main content

Tablets - The second coming

Apple tablet anyone? How about a MS/HP Tablet? Déjà vu????

The tablet rumor mills are turning and pundits are trying to predict if the devices will succeed or fall flat like last time - for starters read this .

IMHO that this generation of tablets will be different because of just one thing - wireless connectivity!!! 3G, 4G (and Wi-Fi of course). Although smartphones are great, it still falls way short in terms of browsing experience. Have you ever used a Blackberry Bold to read news? So I am betting that tablets will continue what the iPhones started - rapidly increase mobile Internet browsing. I think the Apple Newton was a dud because of this lack of connectivity, so any comparison to it or iPaqs are moot. And if rumors (or controlled apple leaks) are to be believed, Apple iTablet (or whatever) will probably feature Verizon's 3G connectivity.

And another one of my bets is that with tablets on the way, app stores for Android, Apple and Palm (1000 apps and counting) will be shuttered or pretty much become irrelevant. The tablet browsing experience will be so good that no one will want to install apps.

And last but not least Kindle and all single purpose e-readers are going to go the way of the dinosaurs. All you need in a tablet is an e-reader mode and voila your e-book is ready.

What do you think? Please post your thoughts and comments.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I Hear Voices in my Head

I have been playing around with the iPad for a while now, so naturally I started thinking about what its shortcomings were. I realized that probably the weakest link in the iPad is the ability to type on it effectively (yes, I have the keyboard dock..it is just not enough). This in turn hampers your ability to key in search terms, URLs in Safari, mails, tweet, comments in Facebook and so on. Touch interface is great but typing in iPad is not fun.

I dream of Jetsons....

Over the last couple of days, we had around 10-12 inches of snow which I had to shovel. And our driveway is around 40 yards by 10 yards. I had to shovel almost 8 inches a week back. So obviously, I just have